Virtual Replication for Amazon Web Services (AWS) from Zerto is claimed to be the first hypervisor-based replication solution to offer enterprise-class data protection and workload mobility from on-premise VMware environments directly to AWS.
The solution supports application-consistent, continuous replication from VMware vSphere or Microsoft Hyper-V to AWS and will allow users to either recover VMs and run the VM in AWS, or use the system for long-term retention of VMware VMs using AWS simply as a target for offsite backup.
Features of Zerto Virtual Replication for AWS include:
- Storage and hypervisor agnostic replication – any storage can be used at the source and target site, and any hypervisor, including from VMware vSphere or Microsoft Hyper-V to AWS
- Virtual Protection Groups - consistency groups that ensure applications with multiple VMs can be recovered effectively with write-order fidelity
- Manages disaster recovery and data mobility operations across VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V environments as well as AWS from a single user interface
- Continuous data protection – no snapshots – to minimize impact on the production environment
- Automated recovery of VMs in AWS
- The use of AWS as backup or DR target for VMware VMs
- Automated orchestration of disaster recovery processes for application consistency
The new solution will be previewed at this weeks’ AWS re:Invent in Las Vegas and will be released in Q1 2015.
Zerto promise that they will support other cloud services as Ziv Kedem, Zerto CEO and co-founder explains. “Zerto Virtual Replication to AWS is the next step in our Cloud Fabric strategy, which allows customers to select their IT infrastructure based solely on their business needs, regardless of underlying storage, hypervisor or cloud provider,” adding, “In the future, Zerto Virtual Replication will offer support for more platforms to ensure that if business circumstances change, the data protection solution doesn't have to, enabling customers to future-proof their DR investment.”