The ‘private cloud in a box’ market is hotting up and the latest business to join the likes of VMC and VMWare is HP. The new HP solution HP Helion Rack, is a new pre-configured, pre-tuned and pre-tested private cloud solution, based on OpenStack and Cloud Foundry technologies and integrated with HP server hardware.
The new product is designed to enable rapid infrastructure provisioning for development and production workloads, particularly for organisations looking to host applications that require a secure, compliant and a performance tuned infrastructure and a platform for developing, designing, and deploying cloud native applications.
HP Helion Rack is intended to help create out of the box private cloud solutions by integrating infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) and platform-as-a-service (PaaS) capabilities that support cloud native applications.
Key features/benefits include:
- Integrated proven Open Source cloud software (OpenStack/Cloud Foundry) and industry standard hardware (HP ProLiant DL servers).
- Turn-key, factory built, best practice solution is installed onsite by HP.
- A common software and hardware platform architecture simplifies support, administration, updates and maintenance.
- Easy to scale-out with additional storage and compute nodes and scale up within each node.
- Easy access to integrated application services, such as database and messaging services that can increase the scale and availability of applications.
Owen Rogers, senior analyst, Digital Economics, 451 Research outlines the problems IT departments are facing. “The demand from lines of business and dev/test teams for fast delivery of flexible compute resources is putting many IT departments under intense pressure. While IT departments understand these needs, they don’t always have the time, resources, infrastructure, or skills needed to meet demand. HP Helion Rack can help overcome the cloud and OpenStack software skills barrier that delays many companies private cloud deployments.”
HP Helion Rack will be available in April, and includes HP Helion OpenStack, HP Helion Development Platform and HP ProLiant DL servers, and is built at the HP factory and arrives ready for installation by HP.