Open-source Enterprise Content Management (ECM) and Business Process Management (BPM) solutions, has updated its Alfresco One and Alfresco Activiti to help organisations meet their digital transformation goals and fulfil the new business requirements for a Process and Collaboration Management (PCM) tool.
The new Alfresco integrated solution attempts to bring together process and content into a single solution, that looks after the business workflow, and improves customer service by capturing approval flows and any relevant content to help address its compliance requirements. For example, processing a loan application for a financial services company involves managing multiple documents from applicants as well as internally created files - all part of a loan-approval process.
Alfresco One 5.1’s new capabilities include:
- Easy Content Model Management that allows non-technical users the ability to configure Alfresco to their specific business data model in a “no code” environment that embeds more intelligence into the content being managed.
- Smart Folders that make it easy for users to access content based on “what it is” rather than “where it is,” providing a consumer-like “intelligent playlist” experience.
- Additional APIs in the core platform that support broader customisations, system reliability and increased flexibility to address a multitude of use cases.
- Improved usability and search capabilities powered by open-source SOLR technology with advanced administration options to support mass-scale deployments.
- Updated iOS and Android mobile apps and SDK for further app customisations.
- Support for native-cloud technologies, like Amazon Aurora.
New features in Activiti 1.4 include:
- Enhanced BPMN 2.0 process engine, which allows process forms improvement, process model creation and performance enhancements.
- No-code development for business rules to automatically drive process decisions.
- Tighter integration with cloud file sync-and-share solutions, which allows Alfresco to bring process to the cloud world.
- Mobile support through a dedicated app.
Commenting on the new PCM field 451 Research Analyst Carl Lehmann said “ECM and BPM are converging into a market we refer to as PCM. Rival vendors vying for share in this new market will be compelled to prove how they can help their customers and prospects run their businesses better through process improvements, enhanced collaboration, and easier ways to exploit content and media, Alfresco's evolving business strategy is set up to do just that.”